|Fresh Tomato Basil Cream Soup |
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 50 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small carrots
- 2 lb vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- Add olive oil to a large pot and turn the heat on medium.
- Add the chopped onion and carrots and sauté for 7 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and stir. Continue to sauté for a few more minutes.
- In the meantime, wash and coarsely chop the tomatoes.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, sugar, pepper and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to medium and simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- After 30 minutes or once the tomatoes are tender, puree the soup using a KitchenAid hand blender (or any immersion blender, food processor or blender).
- Stir in the half-and-half and serve warm.
- Garnish with cream and shredded basil leaves on top of the soup.
Recipe by My San Francisco Kitchen at http://www.mysanfranciscokitchen.com/fresh-tomato-basil-cream-soup/